Monday, January 26, 2009

Life and Death

I was intrigued by the dead snags on the bluff above the monastery...beautifully polished by the wind and sun. They reminded me of drift wood at the beach only these stood proud and purposeful...still full of life in death. Birds, insects, lizards, and snakes found shelter and substance...desert flowers, fungi, and lichens nestled in the organic debris that collected in the crooks and crevices. In death, it was teeming with life.

I'm reminded of a couple of quotes that I'll pass on...I'm still cogitating on both of them but beginning to see the truth in them.

"Until we see life and death as equal, we live in fear."
Byron Katie
"Death is not the opposite of life. Life has no opposite.
The opposite of death is birth.

Life is eternal."
Eckhart Tolle

1 comment: